Health insurance to race in US?

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Health insurance to race in US?

Postby ONyX711 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Any suggestions for affordable health insurance to race in the US. We have put together a team to run the Northeastern 24hr race in July this year in NewYork. Looking for some affordable health insurance that covers motorized contests of speed, extreme sports. Have a quote from Tugo and its $356.00 for the weekend. :shock:
Al #BRAAAP
'16 Beta 250rr RE #557
ONyX711

Re: Health insurance to race in US?

Postby Clayfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 pm

We have been racing in NY State since the split of CMA and OO's formation.

I have coverage for my son and I through CAA. Multi Trip Emergency Protection. Covers for motorcycle riding because I phoned and asked specifically. https://www.caasco.com/Insurance/Travel ... ompare-cta ( i'm not so sure I would ever tell any Medical Professional I was "Racing My Motorcycle" I would tell them I was at a "Motorcycle Ride". ) Costs under $200 last year for both of us for the season, You are also covered through the AMA (which you will have to join if your doing the 24hour) as it is AMA sanctioned. BTW, you had better get on that entry as they are limited to 120 entries. I did it year before last with a team of 50+ guys from NY and Ontario.

To be frank, we have never (knock on wood) had to use our coverage so how well it works is a guess. Some of these Insurance Providers repay you after something happens, some you have to call an 800 number before they load you in the ambulance. (tough to do if your knocked out) We have sort of a rule on every ride or race in the states. If your injured enough to need medical attention, we go home. That means everybody who came down with us. IF you can take a pain killer or stop the bleeding and nothings broken, we continue on the day racing.
Clayfan

Re: Health insurance to race in US?

Postby ONyX711 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks for the tip! We submitted our entry Jan 2 and had it expressed shipped. We should be good. I like the rule you guys follow, pack up and go home if its bad. Stay if its manageable. I will run that by the group this week. I will look into CAA as well. #braaap
Al #BRAAAP
'16 Beta 250rr RE #557
ONyX711

Return to General Discussion