Help with rules for Parry Sound upcoming for a SuperNewb pls

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Help with rules for Parry Sound upcoming for a SuperNewb pls

Postby OlderBoulder » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 pm

G'Day All,

I'm an older guy (59) been away from dirt for 35 years and never raced before.
Now I am ready to give it a go, along with my son and his best friend, so we have picked the upcoming Parry Sound Sprint Enduro (Slippery Rock) as our entrance into this phase of our riding fun together.

So, we have OO membership and race numbers. We have the minor waivers submitted and accepted and will get the cards for the boys at the event. I have my printout as a member card and will maybe laminate it if no other card is forthcoming, as I am unsure of this point. Trip planned, bikes in shape and all ready to go.

But... I am trying to figure out the following, and cannot find any details on it elsewhere.

For this race, do we need our green plates on our bikes or just our race numbers on front & right side as per rules?

Do we need our insurance certificates available?

It is apparently $60 for advance reg. and it says $40 for family members. So I assume? that means that I pay 60, my son pays 40, my son's friend pays 60 and what about my other son who is just coming to hang out with us but won't be riding. A ?spectator? perhaps? Any fee? Can I pay all this in advance or should I have $$$ with me (as in... can I pay for the 3 transponders in advance or must pay at event)? Any other fees that I'm not understanding?

Sorry for all the questions folks but I am as new as can be to this and don't want an admin detail to mess up our experience.

Thanks for reading and responding if you can.

Cheers!
OlderBoulder

Re: Help with rules for Parry Sound upcoming for a SuperNewb

Postby warrent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 am

Hi OlderBoulder, Blair should have answered this but I guess he's busy moving rocks and cutting dead fall at the Parry Sound location, or maybe he's greasing the rocks to make sure the event really is 'Slippery Rock'. Reading your post it would seem you have most of your ducks in a row. You do not need license plates as the event is entirely on private property. No motorcycle insurance is needed. You can purchase your transponders at the event.
Have your race number on.
I don't believe there is a fee for spectators, though there will be a waver to sign upon entering the property.
I hope this helps.
Warrent..................
warrent

Postby blair » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am

The only thing I want to add to Warren's response is that cash is needed for transponder and to pay for camping if you will be staying over. The family discount should have been calculator in for you when you registered on LiveLaps.
No fee for spectators.
Thanks, Blair
blair

Postby OlderBoulder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Warrent & Blair,
Thank you both very much. That pretty well covers it then so I'm off to Livelaps to get us pre-registered.
Looking forward to riding this course and after viewing previous vids I sure am happy to have started in VetC. Just finishing will make my year for sure :)

Not to worry about greased rocks... I figure that the 2T guys in front can waste some rubber on the rocks to give me a good stick ;P

Cheers.
OlderBoulder

Postby yamafitter » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Just remember to select "Family" as your son's class to get the family discount. We will move your son to the proper class later in the backend of the registration software.

Bill Fitkowski
yamafitter

Postby OlderBoulder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:06 am

Thank you yamafitter. I was going to get the registration done Friday afternoon but I realized, as I wound my way through LiveLaps that I will either need the boys present or their login to Livelaps so I can log in as them and then pay with my PayPal. No worries though, they are giving me that for tomorrow so I should be able to get this done then.

A couple more questions, if one of you guys doesn't mind please.

1. Is it fair to assume that the event 'goes' no matter the weather?

2. The poster for this says "4 tests with 3 circuits each". 3 tests for me in V class ( whew :P ).
So, my quivering arms and pounding knees (practice day today haha) want to know... how long is 1 circuit (approx. minutes at average speed)?
Is each test conducted on a different circuit? What I'm trying to figure out can best be described with the following scenarios, and I would sure appreciate a bit of enlightenment - perhaps even just picking the scenario best describing the upcoming event.

a. One test of 3 circuits on the moto-style track, one test on combined double/single track with moderate terrain and one test on single track incorporating perhaps mud, rock hill climb or some other nefarious concoction dreamed up by the course architect (Blair?). The fourth test, for the more advanced riders would be something that I would shudder at and realize no amount of Aleve would be enough for my arthritic knees :lol: .

b. One test with a maximum time to complete and incorporating all of the features of the course combinations available. Subsequent tests reduce the maximum time allowed.

c. None of the above. You, OlderBoulder, are truly a newb :lol: . Here's how it goes......

Sorry for the near word wall but I am danged if I can piece together enough info on the net for sprint enduro to figure out what I shall be facing. While some surprises are fun (like, oh look, what a lovely bridge across that stream :D), others not so much, and I do attest to a measure of apprehension about my ability to physically complete the whole thing, so a bit of 'forewarned' is a lot of 'forearmed' in my case.

Thank you in advance to any and all who might give me a bit more of a hand here. I look forward to seeing you in the lovely Parry Sound area on Saturday (I'm from the great riding trails and single/double tracks in Boulter Township and Mattawa area (east of North Bay)).

Cheers!
OlderBoulder

Postby JTQ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:27 am

I'll try to cover some of these.

Events typically run rain or shine. If there is crazy weather before the event keep an eye on our facebook, instagram or twitter pages or website which we would use to notify people if there is a necessary cancellation. It doesn't happen often but it's not impossible.

Blair can comment on test section length but on average these are typically 10-15 minutes at race pace (25-30km/hr). I would anticipate a solid 2 hrs +/- of seat time to do your 9 tests. What's great about the sprint enduros is you can take a quick break after each test, drink some water and catch your breath. Even add some gas in the pits if needed. (Tip: don't carry a lot of extra weight you don't need) At Free Flow I found it best to do the same test multiple times consecutively so it was fresh in my mind but that is only an option when the tests all start from a central location. (like a clover leaf) Might not be the case in Parry Sound.

Ride within your limits and you'll have a great time!

Cheers,
Jeremy
JTQ

Postby OlderBoulder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you JTQ. That is very helpful.
Although I'll probably look back in a week and chuckle at how my myriad questions could have waited for a, I suspect, rather self-explanatory process once one is briefed at the rider's meeting, my newbie jitters got the better of me.
... and it doesn't help when my 17 y.o. son keeps telling me to just 'send it' :lol:

Have a great day. I look forward to meeting some of you on Saturday.
Cheers.
OlderBoulder

Postby abc2milton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Vet C eh... that means you are in my class.

So sound test consists of riding your bike through a den of sleeping grizzly bears - if they don't snooze you loose

There is a no coincidence that this event is sponsored by a Life Insurance Company...

"... something that I would shudder at and realize no amount of Aleve would be enough for my arthritic knees" - Don't worry they won't be attached after the "Pit of Broken Glass" challenge or the "Live Buzz Saw Hop"

"... nefarious concoction dreamed up by the course architect..." - That could be the "Pit of live Snakes" challenge... or "Dodge the Starving Wolves"… you kind of loose track after awhile when Blair is involved

“… I'll probably look back in a week and chuckle…” – Depends on when you get out of the Hospital or regain consciousness… might be a few weeks

Or I could just be saying all of this to try to discourage you as you are in my class :mrgreen:
abc2milton

Postby OlderBoulder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Hehe.

Already did the 'bear' thing with mama and babies - Yamaha won that time :)

Saws and broken glass have to get past my Starcross 5s and knee armour but noting that and a mention on some other forum that older racers are best to also have a desk job that fits a wheelchair, well... check :lol:

Did what research I could on Blair... whew, that's like having the Dalai Lama place your yoga mats for you, but in a much more extreme way :D

No...NO... not snakes. I hate snakes. May have to tail whip (yeah, like I could do that without dying :shock: )

So, still sitting on 5 weeks of vacation accrued, so I guess I could spend my time in bed P'shopping GoPro footage of the amazing VetC racers :D

Nice psych abc2milton! Now I'm firmly locked in!

Oh... btw... I pass on the left :lol: :lol:

Cheers. Great fun!
OlderBoulder

Next

Return to General Discussion