Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Postby JTQ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 am

Hello Everyone,

As the season is nearing its end we are preparing for the fall OO AGM. This year we hit a record 1,000 members which is hopefully an indication that people are enjoying the OO series.

We welcome any and all suggestions from our members for improvements to race format, classes, rules etc. If you have comments on what you feel is working well that is also very helpful.

Please feel free to post either in this thread or send me an email to president @ offroadontario.ca

Hopefully we will see a lot of you either at the Terra Nova, Great Pine or the upcoming Banquet.

Thanks again for a great season!

Jeremy Quinn
President OO
JTQ

Re: Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Postby Kayeffess » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 am

It’s been asked before but, here we go again. How about some sort of over 50 class(s). A quick look through livelaps and I see that OO is the only promoter not offering something for the over 50 crowd. There is one small race that had a 40+ class.
Off hand, I can’t think of any popular timed/measured sport that a 58 year old has to compete against a 40 year old.

If your mandate is numbers you need to retain older riders.
Once you lose people, they don’t come back ....they move on.
Kayeffess

Postby czguy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm

I have said this before but nothing changed, run a supervet class for the over 50 racers. I am north of 50 and I can not run with 40 yr olds for points at end of season. I went from running all the enduros and a couple of cross country races with old format to 2 enduro, B.B. and T.N.with new format . Most likely not even sign up in 2019 if classes stay as they are . Maybe OO is not worried about losing a few rider, if it brings in new riders and the gates are full. I just finished terra nova about 100 riders, Maybe cutting out riders may not be best. OO is a great club, and I don,t want come across as trashing the club, I just say things the way it is. If I don,t do anymore racing then I would still be involved helping if needed. A second thought would be a pass for 2 races, at half the cost of a full membership. Chris
czguy

Postby yamafitter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm

How about this:

Fast Vets regardless of age (other than being older than 40) go into Vet AA
40 - 50 ride Vet A
50 - 60 ride Vet B
60+ ride Vet C
Vet Masters would then be redundant and would be dropped.

Bill Fitkowski
yamafitter

Postby tricky60 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:15 pm

It took me, and most OO directors three years to accept the +40 concept that we have used for Vet classes for the past 3(?) or more years. I still think it can be logically supported and defended, but I also accept the idea that the "customer is always correct". Based on what I continue to hear, and have heard for 3 years, that the +50 riders want their class back, its time to change. I agree that rider retention is important and that Veteran riders make up a large portion of OO membership, so do we bring back one +50 class or go totally back the way it was with +40 A and B, and +50 A and B. For promoters of events, 5 total Vet classes, as we had this year, is either the max number of classes or maybe one too many. The +60 class did not go over well this year, but there were +60 riders riding in other Vet classes and there are a bunch of riders turning 60 in 2018 and 2019. I would like to see it given another year to grow. How is this idea: +40 A and B, +50 and +60 for a total of only 4 Vet classes. For those who wish to see +50 racing, how should all the Vet classes shake out? Keep the ideas coming!
Rick
tricky60

Postby drumbell » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 pm

I feel, one of the reasons the 60+ Class did not catch on was that it was been treated as a sportsman class. Starting after the the women B and Nov C. At Gopher dunes i think the Masters only got to do 2 or 3 laps of each test.
Anyone riding into there 60s has spent many years riding and for the most part are pretty good technical riders. For self preservation starting to slow down in the fast or high risk stuff.
I would Like to retain the Masters class and see a return of a 50+ A and B classes. I think we have the numbers and it would keep more guys attending races
Last edited by drumbell on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Vet B
KTM 300 XCW
drumbell

Postby Kayeffess » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 am

I’m not sure that I understand why the two or so extra classes are a burden on the promoters. Could this be clarified?
I think you need to give the masters a year or two to grow.
I think you will find the 50+ crowd want to run in the morning classes. This would probably include the fast over 50 guys that you want to put in the AA
I just don’t see the point of putting 59 year olds up against 40 year olds.
Kayeffess

Postby JTQ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:15 am

The burden for promoters having extra classes relates primarily to the cost of the extra awards/trophies. It's not a massive burden but still a factor.

I'm sure we can come up with a better solution for vet/masters classes next year. What we would like to avoid is having poorly attended classes.

I appreciate age can play a significant role in ones ability to compete. I've been racing much younger folks for years. That being said we have tried to provide a progressive class system where people have an opportunity to move up and down within 4 levels. In theory this allows for closer racing, grouping people by times/speed, not age. It could be argued that a fast/fit 59 year old is every bit as competitive as a less skilled or less fit 40 year old. Skill, age and fitness all play a role.

If you find you aren't competitive in particular class can you not move up or down accordingly? It is not uncommon to have a few folks who end up dominating classes and we will continue to discuss ways to help minimize this issue.

Do we think we will have closer racing if we revert back to 40 A/B and 50 A/B? In my mind there would be larger speed variances within those classes. One of the issues with the old system was we saw a lot of drop off once people were promoted out of B classes as they didn't feel they could be competitive in the A class. There are some very fast 40+A and 50+A riders out there. (ex Pros etc.) Is it reasonable to promote the winner of Vet B who in their 40s most likely isn't getting faster to now compete with Ex Pros? The 4 progressive class system seems to have alleviated this issue.

One other option someone mentioned to me was to leave the 4 current Vet classes and reduce the age of the Masters class to 55+ and to have Masters do full courses, equivalent to current Vet A. Most likely this revised class would be populated with faster 55+ riders. Slower 55+ riders can enter Vet C or B depending on how long a course they want to run or where they feel they fit best. This would hopefully provide a competitive class where 55+ no longer have to compete with the young 40 folks.

Regardless of what makes sense on paper, OO tries to provide a fun, competitive racing environment that satisfies as many members as possible. There will never be a perfect solution but it's good discussions like this that prompt us to try different things and hopefully improve over time. Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks to all who have posted.
JTQ

Postby pklassen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Ok... dusting off my typewriter and sending off some comments from the geriatric class....
most important to me - running in the morning / am classes .. being able to show up in the am.. get riding and racing by 10:30-11:00 am ... and done by 12:30-1:00 ish is perfect for me.. pushing me into an afternoon class ( not that I think I am in line for that anyway!) would make me re-consider what class to ride in ... and possibly pick an inappropriate class just so I can ride in the morning. all good suggestions from my fellow racers above.. I know I now qualify for the Masters class.. but never really considered it a good or possible fit for me, not that the riders in it aren't as fast or faster than me...but the small turnout is not what I am interested in.

"...One other option someone mentioned to me was to leave the 4 current Vet classes and reduce the age of the Masters class to 55+ and to have Masters do full courses, equivalent to current Vet A. Most likely this revised class would be populated with faster 55+ riders. Slower 55+ riders can enter Vet C or B depending on how long a course they want to run or where they feel they fit best. This would hopefully provide a competitive class where 55+ no longer have to compete with the young 40 folks...."

this option is of most interest to me.. as long as we can get minimum 12-15 + riders in the class.. I am good to go.. otherwise am ok with staying with the existing Vet A class... and doing my best to kick ass on the pesky 40 year olds...

Peter Klassen
Vet A 454
pklassen

Postby tricky60 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:42 am

Each fall when the subject of Vet classes come up, the same thoughtful contributors offer their incite, which is much appreciated. These riders tend to be from the previous Supervet A and Vet A classes. It would be great to hear from some Vet B and Vet C riders before changes are made that may effect their classes. I am told that this discussion needs to be on social media if we want wider participation. One place or another, we could use opinions from more classes.
tricky60

Next

Return to General Discussion