Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Re: Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Postby pklassen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:13 am

just looking at the 2018 Cross country results for Vet A/B/C ... there are over 130 riders that would have competed in at least one event or more... can you look at our data/ ages and see how many are over 55 and might / would consider moving into a SuperVet class ( 55+) ... I agree with Dave R .. I am 60 now, and to come home with a 3rd place trophy and see the look on my wife's face.. then hear the inevitable question.. " how many were in your class?" .. ( 3 in Masters class?) .. no... not for me ... I am ok being a little ( slowish) fish in a big pond...any competitive class I fit in regardless of what changes are made.. I will be back next year..

( not a snowflake looking for an achievement medal at this point) ...

thanks to all the volunteers and workers in the OO series.

Peter Klassen
Vet A 454
pklassen

Postby JTQ » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 am

After reading through everything and looking at the stats we will be discussing a few options at the AGM but the one I will be proposing is:

Change 60+ Masters to Vet 55+A (will line up behind 40+ Vet A in the AM at XCs and ride the same course as 40+ Vet A at enduros)

It looks like we have enough guys in this age and skill range to make this a viable class. For the 55+ guys who aren't "A" guys hopefully they can find a home in Vet B or C.

If there is enough demand for the 55+ A class next year and the stats support it we can look at a B class in future years. On paper it seems like a lot of the current 55+ guys are "A" riders.

For those who monitor this forum what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeremy
JTQ

Postby tricky60 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:00 pm

"Was just looking at the overall championship points. Im wondering why there is no Masters class listed."

Dave, look under Vet Masters. The name of the class was just one of the things that doomed the class this year. It changed from race to race. 58 and 59 year olds should have been allowed in the class for 2018, then 59 for 2019 eventually becoming 60 class in 2020. That would have stocked the class well. A big thing that doomed the class was that there were many 60+ riders riding in other classes, especially at the start of the year. If we pulled ahead one year for just one season, and we could get all the 'Too Proud racers' to race in +60, we would basically have the Super Vet class competitors of 8 years ago in whatever we agreed to call the 60 class. That would not be the Mickey Mouse class that some of you think it would be. It would be as competitive as the original Super Vet class that was so fast that slower older riders asked for the Super Vet B.
As Chris mentioned, we pulled ahead 38 and 39 year olds to Vet Class for a couple of seasons to populate Vet A and B. It worked well. If we let 59 year olds into the 60 class for one year only, the class will be competitive and have enough racers, if the eligible racers actually choose to race the class. If we make a 55 class or classes, we will prematurely retire a bunch of 62 and older riders.
That is just an opinion, but an opinion based on watching (and riding) the Vet classes and Vet rider ages very closely for 9 years. :)
tricky60

Postby drumbell » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Tricky
I see what your saying about possibly loosing some of the slower 60+ guys. I dont think they will want to go with the 40 yr olds in Vet B or Vet C classes.
Im betting a lot of the guys in Vet C are already over 55. That why I feel a 55+ SuperVet B class is so important to pick up all the slower 60+ guys as well as all the 55+ guys that want to race with there peers in a slower class.
Dave Vet B
KTM 300 XCW
drumbell

Postby JTQ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 am

Some interesting stats from the top 16 riders in the Grand Championships for Vet A/B/C

Approx 20% are 55+ in each class

Approx 40% are 50+ in each class

The 55+ group is smaller than I would have thought and it spans multiple classes/speeds. Difficult to group together.
JTQ

Postby markz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm

The concept of Vet A Masters for 55+ have the very good feedback from very fast riders fitting the age category.
Perhaps keeping the same 400 number with the letter M would help to populate the class. We are hoping to have more then 10 riders in the class and do away with Vet Masters class. Vet Master riders would be very happy to joing the new gang of riders.
markz

Postby Kyodee3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 am

A couple of suggestions.

1. Host more events in the eastern Ontario area. Anyone living within an hour of Ottawa has to travel 3-5 hours to most events. It would be nice to have a few closer to home.

2. For those travelling far without a closed in trailer and staying overnight in a hotel would it be possible to have a somewhat secure bike drop off at the event the day before...or maybe there already is. I'm not a fan of leaving our bikes in an open hotel parking lot overnight so having somewhere to store them may make it more enticing to travel to the further events.

Thanks
Kyodee3

Postby drumbell » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 am

Have my vote 55+A class. Riders I have talked to eligible for this class would also like to see this change.
Dave Vet B
KTM 300 XCW
drumbell

Postby Q Alphonso » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Another suggestion
Is there any way that the Vet C guys bypass the extreme tests and do more laps on the other tests ( the Bush Axe
killed alot of us )
The age battle will go on forever, but it feels good to beat someone 18 years younger.
For the Sprints, is there any way to give the Mini A-B and women B more laps as most kids finished in half an hour.

Keep up the great work and see you in 2019.

Quinn Alphonso Vet C
Q Alphonso

Postby Max17 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

Is there any way to make the Beagle Bash a green plate event? Being blue-plate-only excludes all of us green plate members and means that we can't race the whole series. I would especially like to participate in this event because of its location and its time in the calendar but I'm not going to get another bike just for this one event.
Max17

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion