Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Re: Suggestions for 2019 OO Season

Postby koobly » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 pm

The best part of NOT being on the executive is the total LACK of consensus from everyone.... :)

My hat is off to all of you, and may the wisdom of Solomon be with you...

Having said that, I have a few suggestions myself.

Both Parry Sound and Kearney both had an "Extreme" Expert only section for the best racers. Since the organizers went through all the trouble of laying them out, it would be nice if the Vet A, and Novice A got to ride them. Let me be clear, I don't want to do three loops of it, but just one. If you started the fast guys on it, and didn't allow the As to take it until halfway mark, there shouldn't be an issue of blocking the lines (well, on each other, but that's another issue). It would certainly add something to the event, and allow a bit of separation. I test marketed this idea at a couple of sprint enduros myself, and hit about 95% that would prefer just one lap of the hard stuff, and that's both Vet A and Novice A.

Line Ups: I loved Parry Sound as an XC. I couldn't get into it as a sprint, mostly because I sat in lineups that were longer than the test. Part of that is a great turnout (which is great), and part of it is that the tests were pretty short. At 20 seconds a rider, even 15 riders ahead of you is still a 5 minute wait. I'm not sure if the software allows it, but it should be theoretically because we can still do it on a long loop, but the idea is combining the long loop multiple rider start with the sprint one at a time start and allow 2 to go on 20s where the second rider wants to. If I line up with a B guy, I go first, and the dust won't be much of an issue because of the speed disparity. Likewise, I happen to line up behind Justin Lewis, he goes first, and the dust is even LESS of issue. Like maybe the first 20 seconds. Then we get those same amount of riders in 2 and half minutes. Or in a case like Parry Sound where I waited 30 minutes after being last to the test, it drops to just 15. Just leave it up to the riders to slot themselves into a speed mismatch. Or even if you have a buddy you want to follow, jump on his tire.

I'd also like to see some multiple lines in the sprints. On the Parry Sound MX test, if you got in behind a slower rider right after the MX test in the first bit of single track, you were stuck there at that pace for a good 4-5 minutes, especially with the dust. Just every km or so, have a double line or wide line for 50 yards to allow a bit of passing. I found a few Sprints this year were decided by whom you came up on more so than how fast you could ride.

I'd also echo Quinn's suggestion for more laps for Women's B. It's a lot of expense and time to go all the way to a race to ride for 23 minutes total. Even if you just want to keep them on a single loop due to course difficulty, (which I get) give them more laps of it. Should be closer to an hour of seat time for them in my humble opinion.

Again, I realize that there's logistics, expense and time to some of these changes, and they may or may not be possible. Please find them in the spirit of constructive criticism and consider them in that light. Just a racer's wish list really. :)

Cheers,

Chris Scherk
Vet A
koobly

Postby imnothng » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:18 am

koobly wrote:The best part of NOT being on the executive is the total LACK of consensus from everyone.... :)

Both Parry Sound and Kearney both had an "Extreme" Expert only section for the best racers. Since the organizers went through all the trouble of laying them out, it would be nice if the Vet A, and Novice A got to ride them. Let me be clear, I don't want to do three loops of it, but just one. If you started the fast guys on it, and didn't allow the As to take it until halfway mark, there shouldn't be an issue of blocking the lines (well, on each other, but that's another issue). It would certainly add something to the event, and allow a bit of separation. I test marketed this idea at a couple of sprint enduros myself, and hit about 95% that would prefer just one lap of the hard stuff, and that's both Vet A and Novice A.

Just wanted to say that at Parry Sound they did allow anyone that wanted to try the extreme section to do it after all the guys were done with it. There was no one there timing, but it was open to anyone that wanted to try it. That was the only sprint I went to, so I can't say if it was like that at any of the other ones.
Rob Price
Novice A - #321A
imnothng

Postby koobly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

imnothng wrote:
koobly wrote:The best part of NOT being on the executive is the total LACK of consensus from everyone.... :)

Just wanted to say that at Parry Sound they did allow anyone that wanted to try the extreme section to do it after all the guys were done with it. There was no one there timing, but it was open to anyone that wanted to try it. That was the only sprint I went to, so I can't say if it was like that at any of the other ones.

Yep, I agree with that and that was well communicated at the riders meeting too. think the same would have been fine for Kearney too. My point was that ideally, I'd like it to count. Take the big log after the tires at Kearney for instance. Totally doable, but not really worth the two seconds you'd save cleaning it vs going via the chicken line. I'm an old economist racer - risk vs reward, That's easy math. Chicken line for me please. If they made me ride my dirt bike 150 yards into the bush and back as a chicken line, man I'd huck that big log every time. (Just a random example... Rome and Andrew have done an amazing job with the layout at Kearney)

I just think adding ONE lap to the Vet and Novice A would spice it up. No one talks about that special 150 yards of medium difficulty single track at the Cord.... but everyone remembers the gnarly ones.

Anyhoo, one guys opinion.
koobly

Postby blair » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 am

Answer a few comments:
Vet Expert has been riding everything at the Cord every other year. Some riders in the class complain that don't get to do all of the trail, others complain that they have to do all of it. My solution was to alternate years. In recent years I have added more Hard Enduro sections so going forward the Vet Expert class will ride in the Orange group with the Intermediates and Novice A riders. If anyone in the Vet Expert class wants to ride all the trail they can, but live laps won't count it towards their total time or they can ride Expert class.
Jan 1 has been the qualifying date for sports, school etc. When we are young it benefits the January babies. When we get old the December birthdays benefit. Sounds fair to me. (Being a November baby I had to wait an extra year to ride enduros and the Cord.)
The only class changes I want to see are Vet Master +60 changed to Super Vet +55. 50 is too young. At 50 I know I could have been a competitive Pro, couldn't win, but competitive. At 57 I know I would be in over my head in the Pro Class. I believe our skill our skill based Vet classes are excellent and don't want to see us go backwards.
The only other class change I want to see is just a name change. Vet AA should be called Vet Expert. We have a Expert class and Women Expert class so it should be Vet Expert. Is Vet AA extra old or extra good? No question what vet expert is.
blair

Postby warrent » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:39 am

Who the hell came up with that Double 'A' name idea anyway?
Warren....
warrent

Postby tricky60 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:03 am

warrent wrote:Who the hell came up with that Double 'A' name idea anyway?
Warren....

Pretty sure it was a tall, handsome, hall-of-famer whose opinion we all must respect!!!! ;)
I know I do, and there are only two guys who' opinions automatically get that consideration.
tricky60

Postby blair » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:06 am

When Warren came up with the idea of 4 classes for Vet +40 called A to D someone at the meeting said they didn't think anyone would want to ride in a VET D class so I said Vet AA to Vet C. After that I amended it to Vet Expert when I updated the rule book but some one had already put the new classes on the website with Vet AA so I changed the rule book back to Vet AA to match what was in the minutes of the meeting. I would like to get it changed to Vet Expert because it better describes the class and matches the names we use in the other classes.
blair

Postby blair » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 am

When Warren came up with the idea of 4 classes for Vet +40 called A to D someone at the meeting said they didn't think anyone would want to ride in a VET D class so I said Vet AA to Vet C. After that I amended it to Vet Expert when I updated the rule book but some one had already put the new classes on the website with Vet AA so I changed the rule book back to Vet AA to match what was in the minutes of the meeting. I would like to get it changed to Vet Expert because it better describes the class and matches the names we use in the other classes.
blair

Previous

Return to General Discussion