Trivia for old farts.

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Seems like a slow time here in Ontario, just waiting for the bike shows, AMA Supercross and hopefully some decent Dakar coverage. In the meantime for those of my generation, some trivia questions.

Trivia for old farts.

1. Old Orchard Enduro, not really an enduro, but a hare scramble. Event ran three years.
    a. Organizer?
    b. What years?
    c. Who were OA winners?
2. First Toronto Supercross:
    a. Where was this run?
    b. What year?
    c. Who won OA?
3. Corduroy Enduro:
    a. Who has ridden the most Cords?
    b. First rider to have a ‘zero’ day at the corduroy?
    c. First rider to have zero points lost after two days?
4. The Massasauga Enduro:
    a. The last year of the Mississauga Enduro?
    b. Who won OA?
    c. Who was the organizer?
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Hmmm. Thirty-two lookers but no response. Well, one privately from Paul Andtratis. See below;
Attachments
Massissauga Finisher Badge2.jpg
So, was this the last year run?
Massissauga Finisher Badge2.jpg (278.62 KiB) Viewed 539 times
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby kevlar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 pm

warrent wrote:Seems like a slow time here in Ontario, just waiting for the bike shows, AMA Supercross and hopefully some decent Dakar coverage. In the meantime for those of my generation, some trivia questions.

Trivia for old farts.

1. Old Orchard Enduro, not really an enduro, but a hare scramble. Event ran three years.
    a. Organizer?
    b. What years?
    c. Who were OA winners?
[/list]


Great questions! I'll take a stab at the first one.

Old Orchard Enduro
1. Organised by LiftLock City Motorcycle Club (LLMC)
2. 1976-1978
3. Mike Boyle OA
kevlar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby palito » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm

I think 1985 was the last year for the Massasauga Enduro. I have to check my records, but I think I may have won over-all that year.

Not to derail this post but I have some fond memories going to events in the Niagara region around the Canal. All those events are no longer on the calendar mostly due to urban sprawl.
When I rode the Massasauga Enduro for the second time. I learned from the first, how wet it can be in that area in early May each year so I came up with an idea to keep water out of my boots. I found an old car tire inner tube, not sure if you can you still get them. I cut an 8 inch section out of it and slipped it over the top of my boots and right up over my knee. I also put mink oil on my all-leather Hi-Point boots and I have to say it was a success, but certainly didn’t set any fashion trends.

I remember a time when the words ‘Politically’ and ‘Correct’ were never even used in the same sentence let alone next to each other. The year was 1983, I was a Senior (Intermediate class today) and it was my breakout ride into the top 10 overall. I was pretty proud of myself, and after the event there was plenty of time to celebrate. The event started at 9:00am key time and was 200+ km in length. This was an old school time keeping enduro as they all were back then. They had speed averages that changed often from 36, 42, 48, and 54kph. With the increased speed averages everybody made it back to the finish at a reasonable time probably by 2:00pm.

Events were scored manually back then but results would still be finished in about an hour. But not at the Massasauga Enduro, you see the event start/finish took place at the Welland County Speedway and organised by the Welland County Motorcycle Club. No one knew for sure if it took them longer to do things or if it was the fact that there a licenced bar in the clubhouse, but results weren’t posted until 5:00pm. Everybody just took it for granted that they wanted be keep the bar busy for a few hours longer with a captive audience of about 150 riders. In those days most of the riders stuck around to see the results because the alternative is to wait for them to arrive via snail mail several weeks later. Most people were okay with the arrangement anyway, lots of bench racing and besides, leaving a few bucks at the club bar seemed like a worthwhile cause. Wesley Pierce a member of the organising club was the MC for the trophy presentation, every so often he would come on the PA system to announce that results would be ready shortly and would run through a list of sponsors of the event and remind us the bar was still open for business.

Many may know Wesley as an announcer at dirt track races back then and for many years. For anyone that has never heard, or heard of Wesley, let me tell you he is entertaining as hell, add a few drinks and with his sharp wit, he could give a stand-up comedian a run for his money. After several such announcements every half hour, results were ready and that trophy presentation would be in 30 minutes allowing for the protest period, and of course the bar was still open for business. Well it was also evident that Wesley was a good repeat customer at the bar, I personally think he had a full sponsorship. So they are finally ready for trophies, it was being held in the bar/clubhouse in case anyone was still thirsty I guess. So Wesley gets up and thanks everyone for their patience and acknowledges a few people that make the event possible and also the ‘woman at the back in the polka dot shirt’. The few people that were actually paying attention scanned the back of the room. What is he talking about nobody in polka dots that I could see, maybe he has had too much to drink. They commence with the trophy presentation, and every once in a while he would slip something in about the girl at the back in the red polka dot shirt. Some look around and shrug it off but there was some murmuring in the crowd. I thought to myself ‘what is going on here, am I missing something?’ Well I began scanning the back of the room, the only woman at the back wearing red was a woman in a striped shirt.

At this point I need to tell you that there are some other facts that may help to visualize the situation. Fact: it was a cold day in May that year, Fact: they didn’t heat the clubhouse that particular day, Fact: the door at the back was left open as people were coming and going constantly. One more scan of the room I finally hits me. Have you ever wished you could see the world through someone else’s eyes? May be that would be scary. Anyway, I think Wesley with his sense of humour combined with a liquid catalyst, was in fact only seeing polka dots in that striped shirt. Once I realized what was happening here, everything changed.

He just kept going with it. Just about everyone was wise to it. I give full kudos to the lady (yes LADY) in question as she was either oblivious to what was going on (I highly doubt) or she just played along. Now I get called to get my 1st place trophy in open Senior. I thank my sponsors that helped me and give a special thanks to woman at the back in the polka dot shirt. Thirty five years on I can’t recall if I said that last part aloud.

Thought everyone might enjoy a little light reading on these long winter days.
Paul Andratis
palito
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 am
Location: Delhi, Ontario

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby deanmck » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:32 pm

First Toronto Supercross:
a. Where was this run?
b. What year?
c. Who won OA?

CNE / Exhibition Stadium
1980
Donnie Cantaloupie (with Bevo Forte as his mechanic)
deanmck
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:41 pm

deanmck wrote:First Toronto Supercross:
a. Where was this run?
b. What year?
c. Who won OA?

CNE / Exhibition Stadium
1980
Donnie Cantaloupie (with Bevo Forte as his mechanic)


Correct on all three!
I wasn't there but, along with a dozen other Canadians I rode a "two-day (one-day) ISDE Qualifier in Tennessee with only one finisher on the first day.
Any one remember who that finisher was?
Warrent........
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks Paul. I enjoy stories like this. I don't remember the polka dot lady though.
Warrent...........
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

kevlar wrote:
warrent wrote:Seems like a slow time here in Ontario, just waiting for the bike shows, AMA Supercross and hopefully some decent Dakar coverage. In the meantime for those of my generation, some trivia questions.

Trivia for old farts.

1. Old Orchard Enduro, not really an enduro, but a hare scramble. Event ran three years.
    a. Organizer?
    b. What years?
    c. Who were OA winners?
[/list]


Great questions! I'll take a stab at the first one.

Old Orchard Enduro
1. Organised by LiftLock City Motorcycle Club (LLMC)
2. 1976-1978
3. Mike Boyle OA


The first two answers are correct but not Mike Boyle. Three different winners in the three years the event ran. The second year the winner was on a somewhat revolutionary motorcycle. A 360 Husqvarna Automatic.
Warrent............
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby kevlar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:15 pm

warrent wrote:
kevlar wrote:
warrent wrote:Seems like a slow time here in Ontario, just waiting for the bike shows, AMA Supercross and hopefully some decent Dakar coverage. In the meantime for those of my generation, some trivia questions.

Trivia for old farts.

1. Old Orchard Enduro, not really an enduro, but a hare scramble. Event ran three years.
    a. Organizer?
    b. What years?
    c. Who were OA winners?
[/list]


Great questions! I'll take a stab at the first one.

Old Orchard Enduro
1. Organised by LiftLock City Motorcycle Club (LLMC)
2. 1976-1978
3. Mike Boyle OA


The first two answers are correct but not Mike Boyle. Three different winners in the three years the event ran. The second year the winner was on a somewhat revolutionary motorcycle. A 360 Husqvarna Automatic.
Warrent............


Hmmm... Jerry Young? (He will kick my ass for not knowing this)

Third guess would be Jeff Smith

John Menzies handed out the trophies.
kevlar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Trivia for old farts.

Postby warrent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Yeah; Gerry Young in 1977.

So, 1976 and 1978?

Warrent........
warrent
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest