XC or Enduro for a first time event.

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

XC or Enduro for a first time event.

Postby seanstar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am new to trail riding at an Event level, and currently would like to try an event to see if this is something I would like to get into. I currently ride a CRF250L, which was meant to used on the street for me, but find myself in the trails more than I thought. I am 46, and have ridden for fun in the past too on an CR250 back in the day for fun trails and tracks.

What would someone recommend trying with my current bike and age ( I am a member of OFTR and rode a little single track this past summer in Simcoe)

Thanks for any feedback

Sean
2 wheels over time.
1985 CR80
1989 CR250
2001 GSXR600
1983 CB750
2001 Shadow 750
2014 CRF250L

next???
seanstar

Re: XC or Enduro for a first time event.

Postby tricky60 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:15 pm

From the info that you have provided, I would suggest that you start with an Enduro. Since your bike is undoubtedly blue plated, start early with the Beagle Bash Enduro which requires a blue plate. Get a fairly late starting number so that fast guys and girls aren't passing you all day, and register in Vet C for starting out.
If that experience goes well do the Mini Pine Enduro and/or Cochrane's XC (Colborne). Be forewarned that if you like this sport, you will want another (race) bike. It happens to everybody. Good luck with it.
tricky60

Postby seanstar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Tricky60 - Excellent information. I really appreciate it.
I am hoping to like the sport, to justify getting another purpose use bike :lol:

Thanks again!!!

Sean
2 wheels over time.
1985 CR80
1989 CR250
2001 GSXR600
1983 CB750
2001 Shadow 750
2014 CRF250L

next???
seanstar

Postby koobly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 pm

My experience bringing in a lot of new racers to the sport, has been the opposite. Rarely do any of them finish an Enduro first time out, and they're pretty tough. I'd recommend the XC. Think of it as an arrowed trail ride and have fun. The bonus over the enduro is, if you've had it before the 2 hour mark, you can always pull in and your truck is right there. If you'd had it halfway through an Enduro, you could still be quite a ways from a ride home. Sprint Enduro's would work too, after each loop your back where your vehicle is.

Cheers
koobly

Postby bkowal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 pm

koobly wrote:My experience bringing in a lot of new racers to the sport, has been the opposite. Rarely do any of them finish an Enduro first time out, and they're pretty tough. I'd recommend the XC. Think of it as an arrowed trail ride and have fun. The bonus over the enduro is, if you've had it before the 2 hour mark, you can always pull in and your truck is right there. If you'd had it halfway through an Enduro, you could still be quite a ways from a ride home. Sprint Enduro's would work too, after each loop your back where your vehicle is.

Cheers

The starting line at an XC can be very intimidating for a new racer. I also think its tougher for a beginner to ride all out for 2 hours at an XC race compared to an Enduro where you get breaks between sections. If you can figure out where you are, its usually an easy ride back to the start in a regular enduro if you decide to head back early (not that I know anything about that :D ). But you are correct, a sprint enduro is the best of both for a new racer.

Bryan Kowalchuk
bkowal

Postby Max17 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am

I did my first Enduro and my first XC this past year. I agree with koobly that an XC is probably a much better choice for a first race.
Max17

Postby tricky60 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:23 am

I wonder if Sean is confused yet? I could agree with Max and Chris that generally an XC might make a better staring point, but the specific enduro that I recommended, with a later minute, in a class that may get a shorter route, seemed to fit Sean's bike and past riding experience. No rock, little water to deal with at most recent Beagle Bash events. I don't think Sean is likely to get lost or rattled following the generally excellent arrowing of the event, and the big thing is he has a blue plated trail bike. Should make some use of that advantage. I have a hunch that he will do well at whichever type of event he starts with. Good luck, Sean. Everyone here is hoping to help you.
tricky60

Postby seanstar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Wow, this is all great information. I am gong to have just make decision and live with afterwards. With the blue plated bike, i'll just turn left, ride until I hit a road...then go home haha.

I really appreciate everyone input, and I be sure to update this with the one I went with!!

Thanks again
:o
2 wheels over time.
1985 CR80
1989 CR250
2001 GSXR600
1983 CB750
2001 Shadow 750
2014 CRF250L

next???
seanstar

Postby gqelements » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm faced with the same decision as the OP, just a decade younger of age and with a slightly bigger bike... :o

Question about XC vs Enduros - how much range between gas fill-ups should I plan for either of the event classes? Having to buy a $500 gas tank out of the gate (no pun intended) for either event may force my hand...

Any thoughts/direction would be appreciated.
gqelements

Postby Kayeffess » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 am

I don’t think you will have an issue with your 500. The max mileage between gas stops is in the enduro rules.... I think it is between 60-80 km.... might be worth checking. Xc races you are doing laps and passing a pit area every lap where you can leave a gas can an stop if you need. The anthill is usually the longest with a 20-25 km loop... two laps is the normal race length and fast guys get 3. I ride my beta 390 pretty hard and have never had a gas issue. I have a large tank and put it on for the anthill one year but it wasn’t needed. Since then I’ve been on the stock tank.
Kayeffess

Next

Return to General Discussion