Sound testing?

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Sound testing?

Postby NicholasCole » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Been long time since I have been out racing. Signed up for XC this year. I have a 08 rmz 450, no mods. Was wondering if anyone knows if it will be above 94dB. Should I find somewhere to get it sound tested before the season starts?
NicholasCole

Re: Sound testing?

Postby kevlar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 pm

NicholasCole wrote:Been long time since I have been out racing. Signed up for XC this year. I have a 08 rmz 450, no mods. Was wondering if anyone knows if it will be above 94dB. Should I find somewhere to get it sound tested before the season starts?

Always great to see new members! There are many apps now that you can download for free for your phone to check db. I believe the the standard is 1 metre away at 45 degree to the side at 5,000 rpm. There are others here that can correct me on that.

If it's an XC race buried back in the woods, this organisation is pretty understanding and my experience is they might let you off with a warning if you are only slightly over and it's your first offence. If on the other hand, it's a street legal enduro, (Beagle Bash, Cord, Terra Nova), or an XC close to the public, they need to be less lenient in order to preserve the future of these events.

If your silencer has not been re-packed lately it's probably a good time to do so. Hope this helps.
kevlar

Postby timw » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:10 pm

Cheap insurance is a db dawg. Very inexpensive and it dropped my 450 with aftermarket exhaust from 95-96db to 91db(according to my phone which isn't 100%). Worst case scenario, if you fail you just head back to the truck and pop it in. Only takes a minute. I never needed to use mine but I didn't loose any sleep over the sound test.
timw

Postby NicholasCole » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks! I will get a dB dawg from royal, there 5$.
NicholasCole

Return to General Discussion