Help me out with all the regulations please!

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Help me out with all the regulations please!

Postby Rampking » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:55 am

Hey, I’ve ridden bikes all my life, I’m 40 now and after a 4 yr break (I had 2 kids!) I’m looking to get back into the trails.
However, I’m new to Ont. and there seems to be an enormous amount of regulations to do some dual purpose riding around here. I’ve been looking online for a used dual purpose machine for about a month, only to have a convo yesterday with a nice chap who shed a bit of light on the fact that I have a lot of reading to do!

First off, if I’m buying a used bike, which bikes can I get licensed for the road and ride on the trail?
I was hoping a WR450 or a CRF450X....but am open to what ever.

Also, what is required of me to ride a trail in the Barrie/Simcoe area?

Is there a link someone could provide me? I’m sure there is a lot more to it.

Thanks all
Rampking

Re: Help me out with all the regulations please!

Postby imnothng » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 am

For ease of everything, let's just say that you need to buy a blue plated bike. That means the license plate legally attached to the bike has blue letters. Offroad plates have green letters. The actual ownership will be the same colour as your car/truck, so make sure that matches. Offroad ownerships are a more green colour I believe.

Some people were/are able to get non road legal bikes blue plated years ago, so it might be possible to find one, but you may have trouble getting it safetied unless you know someone.

If it says anything about "closed course" or "competition" on the headstock by the VIN, then it will be next to impossible for you to get a blue plate for it. If it came from the factory with lights and mirrors, chances are it may be a dual sport bike.

To ride the trails around Barrie you need to join the OFTR (Ontario Federation of Trail Riders). The trails are maintained by SCORRA (Simcoe County Off Road Riders Association), so when you join OFTR it's nice to put them one of your clubs and they get some money from that to help build/maintain trails.
Rob Price
Novice A - #327 (#321 Steel City Riders)
imnothng

Re: Help me out with all the regulations please!

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:47 am

I would agree with Rob has previously said. One thing though, have you checked insurance costs? New rider in Ontario - Dual Sport means street riding (Blue Plate) , which means insurance will be significantly more than just a woods only (green plate) bike. I'd check what your insurance costs will be .

cheers
kiwi

Return to General Discussion