RJs - injured rider down etiquette

Event information and registration.

Moderator: yamafitter

RJs - injured rider down etiquette

Postby gofaster » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi all,

Had a good day's ride today at Rj's - great track, great conditions, cudos to all the volunteers that put in the hours to pull off a great day.

At the end of my ride, I received the bad news that my daughter had not been so lucky - she had injured her ankle in the first lap, and was at the hospital already.
After a hectic aftn, she's back home resting, not broken , thank the lucky stars, but she will be on crutches for a couple weeks at least.
Not fun ! a part of racing yes....we've all been there....but I'd like to throw out a comments...…

1) HOW NOT TO HANDLE AN INJURED RIDER
to the gentleman that banged bars with my daughter, and ended up having both bikes flip over...…
granted, I was not there.....but.....when I hear a story of bikes flipping, and one bike ( yours ) ending up on someone's head ( got a broken helmet and visor to prove that ), I'd call that a pretty serious crash.
I question your logic, sir, and your understanding of the rules, to just PICK UP YOUR BIKE AND RIDE AWAY !??!?!?!?!?!
Yes....its a race.....BUT THE RULES CLEARLY STATE WE ARE TO HELP INJURED RIDERS...….
It only takes a second to ask ARE YOU OK??
I don't have your name or bike number, but I'd love to meet you at another race.
I don't ever hold grudges.....but Id really like to talk and urge you to TAKE A SECOND AND HELP YOUR FELLOW RIDERS.
We're all here to have a good time and race hard......but its up to all of us to take care of each other too
PAY IT FORWARD......you can never tell when it will your turn for help.....I just hope someone takes better care of you than you did my daughter....

2) HOW TO PROPERLY HANDLE AN INJURED RIDER
Luckily, I do have lots of people to thank today

Thank you to Cam Lowe - he made sure my daughter made it to the ambulance safely, and he personally found me at the end of the race to let me know what happened. Great job by the course referee.

Thank you to the paramedics that treated Kendra - not only did they make her feel comfortable and treat her properly....they even got her bike back to the trailer, and unhooked my truck from the trailer, so she could get off to the hospital
quickly. Above and beyond!!

Thank you to Travis Brinovec, rider #895 - sir, I'd like to meet you at one of the next races and shake your hand....
Not only did Travis stop and help Kendra....he sat and held her hand.....made her feel ok....till help arrived.
Travis gave up his whole day, his whole race, to help a downed rider.
Check the standings......Travis sure wasn't at the top......but I'll tell you.....THIS IS THE KIND OF RIDER I HOPE I RUN INTO EVERY WEEK.
One that stops and helps, and puts others well being over his placing and his race day

Once again......thank you Travis...….cant say enough how much your help means to us today

Phil Teerink # 652
Kendra Teerink # 964
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Phil Teerink
2013 Yz250
gofaster

Re: RJs - injured rider down etiquette

Postby TB895 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify that although I was one of the people who stopped to help Kendra, it was another person who stayed with her while I got help. Unfortunately I never got their name or number but kudos to you for doing what you did to help Kendra!

Phil you brought up some good points about rider etiquette, I always think of Mr. Golden before the race and what I saw happen July 2017. It really put things into perspective and from that day on I always stop for downed riders and do all I can to help them.

Regards,

Travis
TB895

Postby gofaster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Yes,

Thank you again, Travis, for all you did

There were definitely others helping as well
Dave Wildfong, #773 - great job to stop and wave down approaching riders! thanks!

quick clip of the aftermath from Kiwi
19m30sec mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxJ2WWe5tps

Our sport is a fun one - and it only gets better when we help and support each other.

Phil
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Phil Teerink
2013 Yz250
gofaster

Postby NicholasCole » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your daughters injury. Hope she has a quick and full recovery! This kind of upsets me. Even if helping another rider out wasn’t a rule, I myself could never not ask if they are ok or need help. On my 4th lap I came across pro woman’s rider #490 who had crashed. Wasn’t even a thought in my mind to keep on going. Dropped my bike and helped her until the medics were there and I was no longer needed.

My last lap time was sorted out and still got 6th. But to me fells like 1st.

I hope every rider will just take the 3 seconds to make sure a stopped/down rider is ok. You never know when your the one who needs help.
NicholasCole

Return to Cross Country Events