New member, new to XC racing

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

New member, new to XC racing

Postby Rossi46 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:53 am

Good Morning folks,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm a veteran rider that got back into dirt biking recently, continued riding on the road since my teenage years, and have started getting the itch to do a bit of racing. I have earmarked two races for this year, Ant Hill Classic and Gully Mor. I have a KTM 350 SXF. I was wondering if guys generally do the one stopper for gas or just stick a larger capacity fuel tank on? Really looking forward to it and picking your guys brains for tips and tricks.

Cheers,
Rossi46

Re: New member, new to XC racing

Postby pklassen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 am

well, speaking for myself.. in previous years ( racing a CRF450R) .. I would stop once for gas.. that was enough to finish the race ( Vet A) .. was usually someone around the gas area who would heed my calls for assistance and help me gas up.. never more than a minute lost ? and I just never considered buying a larger tank ( too cheap or too conservative.. not wanting to stray too far from the motocross bike on a XC course.. LOL) ..by the time I needed gas I was ready for a break.. even if only 30 seconds or so ...I know the Anthill race is very long laps ( last year we were only allowed to do 2 laps regardless of speed) and after 2 laps my stock CRF450 tank was dry / barely enough to ride back to the pits .. so I would suggest for that race you may want to stop after one and top up.

I am now on a YZ250FX.. stock tank.. and it so far has no problems doing just over ..2 hours without extra fuel / the fuel low light coming on.. so no larger tank planned ( now a slow Vet 55 class rider).

Peter Klassen
Vet 55 # 929
pklassen

Re: New member, new to XC racing

Postby Rossi46 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for the reply peter. I do like to dabble on the track too, but between these races and the single track riding i do in michigan, i decided to spring for a 3g acerbis tank. I will pass along my thoughts and experiences.
Rossi46

Return to General Discussion