Garmin Virb lost at Great Pine Enduro

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Garmin Virb lost at Great Pine Enduro

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:49 am

I managed to lose a Garmin Virb helmet cam somewhere in the many miles between 1st gas and the finish at the Great Pine on Sunday. Minute 37. It's a long shot, but if anyone noticed it or happened to pick it up, any help getting it back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Aaron
Aaron

Re: Garmin Virb lost at Great Pine Enduro

Postby yamafitter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 pm

We will be out doing final clean up on the trails tomorrow and will be looking out for it.

Bill Fitkowski
yamafitter

Postby Max17 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 am

I wasn't at the Great Pine so I can't help with recovering the VIRB but I was wondering how you like that camera and which model it is. Do you have any race or riding video posted anywhere? I use the VIRB Edit software and I was wondering if a VIRB camera would be better for me than my GoPro which has some annoying issues with it.
Max17

Postby Aaron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

It was a Garmin Virb Ultra 30, unfortunately I don't have any footage posted. Video quality is excellent, records lots of different data, which then can be overlayed on top of the footage, remote use, setup and viewing with smart phone, records GPS track and overlays it on goggle maps / sat image, pretty intuitive touchscreen for settings, which is good because I can be a bit of a caveman with this stuff. I bought it primarily for the video quality, ability to overlay different data (which I rarely did), and a "one button ON" function that allows you to power up the camera and start recording with a fairly large toggle switch on the case, rather than small buttons. Unfortunately battery life was poor (roughly 1.5 hrs), the "one button ON" toggle switch function was hit and miss (mostly miss), and the mounts were rather expensive. If / when I replace it I'm not sure if I'll get another Garmin or not.

Aaron
Aaron

Postby Max17 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 am

Aaron wrote:It was a Garmin Virb Ultra 30, unfortunately I don't have any footage posted. Video quality is excellent, records lots of different data, which then can be overlayed on top of the footage, remote use, setup and viewing with smart phone, records GPS track and overlays it on goggle maps / sat image, pretty intuitive touchscreen for settings, which is good because I can be a bit of a caveman with this stuff. I bought it primarily for the video quality, ability to overlay different data (which I rarely did), and a "one button ON" function that allows you to power up the camera and start recording with a fairly large toggle switch on the case, rather than small buttons. Unfortunately battery life was poor (roughly 1.5 hrs), the "one button ON" toggle switch function was hit and miss (mostly miss), and the mounts were rather expensive. If / when I replace it I'm not sure if I'll get another Garmin or not.
Aaron

Thanks Aaron for the great reply! The thing I was most wondering about was the video quality and it's good to hear that it is very good. That battery life is about the same as for a GoPro at medium resolution and WiFi, voice control, etc. all turned off. Setting higher resolutions or enabling wireless communication or voice control drain the battery very quickly and are therefore only somewhat possible for short MX motos and not practical at all for off-road events. The data capture for the GoPros is very hit or miss and requires turning on the camera (and consuming battery power) well before starting to record. The other issue is that it stores the files in ~10 minute pieces that are completely independent of each other so you can't combine them and show the full GPS track -- only the track for that segment. I may try a Virb after seeing your comments if I can find a used one that is relatively cheap. Thanks again for your real-world insights.
Max17

Return to General Discussion