Insurance on a bike less than 150cc

Got a question about Offroad Ontario, here's the place to get it answered.

Insurance on a bike less than 150cc

Postby BS250XR » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:29 pm

I keep getting told that the rules have changed and nobody will insure a bike under 150 cc. Has anybody insured a bike under 150 cc this year? I just bought myself and my sons new bikes, I can insure the 250 and the 150, but not the 110. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BS250XR

Re: Insurance on a bike less than 150cc

Postby pesky » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 am

Hello, did you have any luck in getting the 110cc bike insured? I am going through the same process right now and haven't had any luck. Cheers.
pesky

Postby BS250XR » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:16 am

Co-operators will if you have another policy with them.
BS250XR

Postby NuggyBuggy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm

Old thread but I am in the same situation as the OP and see no reason to start a new one.

I just bought two sub 150cc dirt bikes for my teen sons (14- and 15-y old). When shopping the dealers all told me insurance would be cheap. Little did I know that meant impossible.

The only company I have found that will insure small dirt bikes and riders without motorcycle licenses was Cooperators, but I had to bring my car insurance over to them and their premiums for the cars alone were 2-3 x what I was paying with my other provider, amounting to thousands of dollars.

Everyone else requires the bikes to be bigger and/or the riders need motorcycle licenses.

The only people I've talked to who've solved the problem, are doing so by having their kids break the law and ride uninsured. Maybe they insure the bikes under their name but when their kids ride they're still breaking the law as the kids aren't insured.

How this industry can grow without young riders having to break the law is something I don't understand.

I'm probably going to try and sell these damn things.
NuggyBuggy

Postby kiwi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Have you poked around the Facebook pages of OFTR, SCORRA, Ganaraska Trail Riders?
Ive seen many others in similar situations post there and seems some of them are having better luck in regards to getting insurance.
kiwi

Postby NuggyBuggy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:30 pm

kiwi wrote:Have you poked around the Facebook pages of OFTR, SCORRA, Ganaraska Trail Riders?
Ive seen many others in similar situations post there and seems some of them are having better luck in regards to getting insurance.

Thanks @kiwi, I appreciate the suggestion. I actually talked to someone at OFTR head offices who acknowledged the problem, was familiar with my bike and said I was going to have a hard time. I went on the SCORRA website as well. I looked on their Facebook pages and couldn't find any people who were able to get insurance. If you happen to be able to dig up the posts I would be happy to read them. I looked and couldn't find anything, I called about a dozen brokers and have posted on a bunch of other forums. But I barely know my way around Facebook so it is very possible I've missed something. I do know there are several threads on various forums where lots of others talk about their problems getting these darn things insured.

The dealer said I could bring them back today for a loss and I did - I felt my window of opportunity with them was closing and I just gave up. When I got there I was told the bikes had already been sold and that it took them about an hour for them to sell the bikes to someone else.

Now I'm looking for 230cc class bikes but the used market is ridiculous. For 10-y old bikes, people are asking more than MSRP for a brand new bike. The problem, of course, is that there are no new bikes out there. The dealers I have talked to say I could give them a deposit for next year's bikes. LOL.
NuggyBuggy

Return to General Discussion